Surveillance After The Boston Attack: Do More Cameras Fight Terrorism or Violate Our Privacy Rights? (by ReasonTV)
Iceland apparently has an approved baby name list created by the government, which is justified in order to prevent embarrassing names. Nanny State anyone?
Great News! UN set to control the internet
I’ll never understand why the UN thinks it has any power. It supposedly exists to prevent another world war, but it’s become nothing more a rag tag group of unelected, multi-ethnic, pseudo-intellectual progressives hell bent on micromanaging the lives of all they claim to represent (I just realized that I could use this same description for Democrats…except for the unelected thing). It literally has no US jurisdiction and does not have the power to legally govern anyone, unless, of course, we give them that power. Well it looks like we are trying to do just that. In addition to regulating firearms, policing our polling stations and instituting the ironically named “Robin-Hood Tax”, they are now seeking to regulate the internet. Elections have consequences.
From the Hill:
U.S. Ambassador Terry Kramer warned on Friday that a proposal to give a United Nations agency more control over the Internet is gaining momentum in other countries.
Proposals to expand the U.N.’s International Telecommunications Union’s (ITU) authority over the Internet could come up at a treaty conference in Dubai in December. European telecommunications companies are pushing a plan that would create new rules that would allow them to charge more to carry international traffic.
The proposal by the European Telecommunications Network Operators’ Association could force websites like Google, Facebook and Netflix to pay fees to network operators around the world.
This is just further evidence of the massive disparity between what is actually happening in this country and what the average voter thinks is happening. I would be willing to bet that less than 15% of the American public actually thinks it’s a good idea to let the UN tax and regulate the internet yet many of the remaining 85% will continue to vote for people that will allow things like to happen. Oh well. I suppose if that weren’t the case, this blog wouldn’t exist.